Thursday, January 15, 2015

Our first ace goes to Tennis magazine! Do you agree?

POSTED BY DAVE: Do you read Tennis magazine? Have you seen the 2015 preview issue? If not, go buy a copy ASAP. Then take a moment and tweet general partner Chris Evert and the Tennis editorial team your heartfelt thanks. In-depth predictions, detailed player profiles, recaps/forecasts of key tournaments, and even a 50th anniversary 'Tournament of Champions' fantasy challenge, pitting the best players of the past half-century into an imaginary tournament, complete with separate men's and women's draws. Really, this issue has it all. A terrific start to the new year!
Genie Bouchard kicks off 2015 in style.

The bonus? Genie Bouchard is on the cover. I'm a big fan of Genie -- and pretty much everyone and everything Canadian. She's got a powerful game, solid on-court presence, and real tenacity and grit.

To be honest, though, I do find it a bit silly to see Genie in strappy pumps and such a flirty pose; I would have chosen a more serious, on-court action shot. Then again, I'm no expert on magazines, and she truly does look amazing.

Let's hope 2015 holds even half the energy and enthusiasm that Genie radiates on this cover shot. Best wishes to all of the WTA and ATP players. Cheers to the season ahead!

BESS REPLIES: I have to believe that if the cover featured Novak Djokovic in a tux (arguably the male equivalent of what Genie is wearing), Dave would not be complaining. But I digress...

Athletes spend 95 percent of their life in front of crowds dressed in sportswear. Often, sweaty sportswear. So it doesn't bother me that they periodically enjoy the opportunity to glam up and show a different side of themselves.

Landing the cover already tells me Genie's got skillz. A quick scan of recent Tennis magazine covers includes the following athletes: Maria Sharapova, Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro and Djokovic -- Grand Slam champions, all. She's in pretty elite company.

I'm willing to infer that Genie's not only attractive and fit and able to rock some serious stilettos... she's a talented athlete as well.

I say aces to Genie and Tennis magazine! And, in the process, I hope my feminism card hasn't been revoked.

TENNIS FANS: What do you think of the cover shot -- an ace or a fault? Chime in now.

No comments:

Post a Comment