Sunday, September 11, 2011

G'day, Sam!

(c) AFP

Posted by DAVE:
It was a very g'day, indeed, for Australian Samantha Stosur. Incredible performance in the women's final, especially after having survived the longest women's match in tournament history, in the first round. Stosur took it to Serena from the very start of the final and never let up. So happy for her! (But, yikes, imagine the expectations that will be on her come January and the start of the Australian Open.)

Serena's behavior throughout the second set and her snide comment at the start of the post-match, on-court interview? Barely worth comment, other than to say she continues to disgrace the sport. Disappointing, especially since she should be a role model for young athletes.

1 comment:

  1. I have had to remain mum about the women's final because as happy as I am for Sam - and I am - I was overwhelmed with my distaste for Serena. As soon as that trophy ceremony was over I simply turned off my TV and walked out the door to take a walk and calm down.

    A day later I still can't get past it. All I'll say is this, if she wants to see someone who is (to use her own fighting words) "unattractive on the inside" ... she need look no further than her own mirror. Disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete