Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Tim Smyczek for the win! (despite the loss)

The toughest match he's ever played? That is saying something.
POSTED BY BESS:  I missed most of Sharapova's gutsy win last night. Ditto Federer's come-from-behind victory.

But the tennis gods were smiling on me today: I was fortunate to wake up just in time for the fifth set of Nadal/Smyczek.

Nadal/who, you ask?

You know, good ol' Tim Smyczek. From Milwaukee, Ranked #112 in the world.
Oh, right.

By the end of the set I was actually sitting on the edge of my seat (OK, my bed), willing Rafa on to victory.

Having missed the first four sets, I'm still unaware of what really went down, but I take it Nadal was experiencing cramping "throughout his body," perhaps even became physically ill several times and struggled to go on during the four-hours-plus match. I've said it before... if I could have the fortitude Rafa has in just one of his heavily taped pinky fingers, I'd be golden for life. I can't even fathom it.

So of course I'm giving Rafa an ace. But I have to single out Smyczek for something even more important.

Tim was down 6-5 in the fifth set and down 30-0 in the game (e.g. flirting with defeat), when Rafa missed a first serve clearly due to some idiot in the stands screaming out mid-serve. The crowd booed. Rafa looked disgusted. And the chair umpire reminded the crowd not to interrupt the serve. Rafa moved back to the service line to hit a second serve... until Smyczek spoke up, saying that Rafa should get a do-over of his first serve. ... Essentially sealing his own fate. In the match of his life. After putting forth four hours of his best tennis.

People, that is sportsmanship. And if tennis is a "gentleman's game," sign Smyczek up for a lifetime membership at all the best clubs. I like this kid.

No doubt Rafa's seen it all on a tennis court. But even he was genuinely moved. It was the first thing he mentioned in the on-court interview after the match--saying not many people would have been so gracious and that Tim should be commended. Indeed.

Amid all the incessant chatter about billion-dollar football franchises possibly deflating footballs to win a berth to the Superbowl, let's move on to some redeeming sports stories. Like Sharapova's refusal to lose. Like Rafa's will to win. Like Tim's exemplary conduct.

It's all playing out right now in Melbourne. With a cast of quirky characters and a spectacular backdrop of saturated colors and sunny skies. What's not to like?

DAVE ADDS:  Great story, Bess! And great sportsmanship, Tim. What a tournament this has been already!

TENNIS FANS: Which players are winning your hearts?

No comments:

Post a Comment