Thursday, January 22, 2015

Double fault!

POSTED BY DAVE: Giving myself a double-fault. 

  1. First, for missing the deadline to complete my Australian Open brackets online. 
  2. And secondly, for...well, just look at this mess on the women's side. And that's only half of the draw!


And how are *your* brackets going?
I'd taken Ivanovic to the quarters, and Lisicki to the semis. And Jankovic, Pavlyuchenkova and Watson to the round of 16. All of them have already been eliminated.

(sigh)

Oh, and I've got Stosur taking out Serena in the semis. Riiiiiight.

Curious how Bess is doing.

BESS REPLIES: Yes, the women's brackets are in shambles with so many of the top seeds going out early. I'm not sure how anyone will win that bracket challenge. But someone undoubtedly will, and it won't be me. Alas. The fame, the fortune. All that will have to wait.

Seeing Dave's paper brackets makes me nostalgic for grand slams past. I like the ritual of crossing out the losers and highlighting the winners - a great visual for how I'm doing in each side of the draw. (But man, filling it out online is so much faster!)

I took a gander at my online brackets just now. Here are my biggest faults so far:

  • I took Petkovic to the round of 16, but she's out.
  • I took Ivanovic to the round of 16, but she's out.
  • I took Kerber to the round of 16, but she's out.
I give myself an ace, however, for my men's bracket, which is currently ranked #162 out of 7,873. I'm in the top 2 percent, baby! But there's plenty of tennis yet to be played... Ample time for me to tumble to the bottom of the scoreboard, as per youzh(ny).

TENNIS FANS: Who do you think is going to win the whole thing? And by that we mean who will win the bracket competition between Bess and Dave!?

1 comment:

  1. Full disclosure. Overnight my standing in the men's bracket dropped down to 500-something. Ah, fame... so fleeting.

    ReplyDelete