Saturday, January 24, 2015

Three stars, one grateful fan

POSTED BY DAVE: Let me talk about three shining stars, all of whom happen to be Americans. (Call me biased or patriotic. Guilty, as charged.) Here goes:

First, who the heck is Steve Johnson?! I'm not sure how he became the #2 American, and ranked #38 in the world, without having previously been on my radar. At all. Plus, I have learned that he won 72 consecutive matches in college AND back-to-back NCAA singles titles? Wow! This guy is just so impressive. Power, placement, poise: he's got it all.

Introducing Steve Johnson. The next great American? (Photo: AFP)
Johnson lost his 3R match to #5 seed Nishikori (who was on my radar years ago, long before his recent ascent). The result isn't what matters to me, though. What I'd like to note is Johnson's maturity, on and off-court.  He seems all about the tennis, and not one for talking smack, pumping his ego, and so on. So refreshing. I'm really eager to see if his star keeps rising, and if he can stay so grounded. Perhaps our next great American champion?

Madison Keys (Photo: USA Today)
On to the next bright American star: Madison Keys. Personally, I haven't been on the Keys bandwagon like so many others, including Bess. (Keys is from the Quad Cities, where Bess grew up.) She's got power, yes; who's going to deny that?! But, she's always seemed like a loose cannon. When her shots are on, she's amazing. When they're not, she doesn't have any sort of Plan B. (Note: I tell my students all of the time that it's much easier to be a critic than a champion. So, Madison, I mean no disrespect at all. I wouldn't last 20 seconds on the court with someone as talented as you!)

Keys' style resonates with me, because coming up with a Plan B has always been my challenge playing tennis. I've got some power, and I'm not too shabby at placement. But, unlike Johnson, I don't have consistent poise. I didn't think Keys had it, either, but her new coach (and one of my favorites of all-time!) Lindsay Davenport must be having a positive impact. Keys seemed to be self-controlled all the way through her 3R victory over Kvitova. If she stays in this mindset, watch out!

Venus Williams, a true champion in every sense of the word.
Finally, I want to give a special shout-out to my favorite Williams sister. (Sorry, Serena.) Venus, I have spent nearly as much time watching and reading your interviews this week, as watching matches. Your news conferences have been especially gratifying to watch.

To be honest, I feel that you have long been one of the most gracious players, female or male. I see that increasingly in you, as you age, and as you contend with health struggles. I admire your composure and your sense of gratitude, for still being able to compete at such a high level. You truly let your tennis do the talking these days, just like upstarts Johnson and Keys are learning to do.

Your status as a dominant tennis star may be starting to fade a bit, just as theirs are rising. But, to me, you shine as brightly as ever, if not more so. Thanks for being such a great ambassador for the sport.

BESS REPLIES: Dave's stats about Steve Johnson are all news to me. Impressive, indeed!

I echo Dave's comments about Venus. It's almost as if her health condition and related on-court challenges make her more relatable to so many of us who aren't superstar athletes. And, as Dave says, because she seems to be so grateful to be out there--so joyous.

Venus is old (by tennis standards) and her Sjogren's Syndrome makes her energy level unpredictable. She is no longer the favorite to win, and has had more than her share of early exits in the past several years (despite my always hopeful predictions). She also has a tennis apparel line, other business ventures and arguably many other distractions. All perfectly good reasons many people would cite as they threw in the towel. But she's out there going for it, loving her sport perhaps more than ever and relishing every moment.

Venus is so easy to root for, and count me among those hoping she can keep this run going Down Under and throughout the coming season! Count David Law, of BBC tennis, a fan as well:


And what can I say about Madison Keys? Her work these past few months with Davenport has clearly paid off. You can see why they'd be such a great match when you see Keys thumping those shots with all that power. Watching her go toe-to-toe with Kvitova throughout that whole match was great fun. (Also great fun to see Lindsay in the stands, so invested in these matches!)

Heck, even Feliciano Lopez is a fan:


In the next round Keys plays another young American named Madison Brengle. Keys claims they're excited to play each other and happy that no matter who wins there will be a Madison in the quarter finals. Setting my alarm for that match!

TENNIS FANS: Have you been cheering for Johnson, Keys, and/or Venus? Or, are there other upstarts or veterans who are your favorites? (They don't even need to be Americans!) Please share, and tell us why!

No comments:

Post a Comment