Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sad exits, consolation prizes

POSTED BY BESS: A few sad exits in recent nights. Bittersweet for me (more sweet than bitter, bitter than sweet) - a bit like that Flat White we sampled before the action began.

I was really sad to see the resurgent Marcos Baghdatis exit in five sets. Marcos looked really fit at this tournament, and he was even rocking the ponytail again (clearly where the mojo is stored). He was playing so much better than I've seen of late. Marcos is such a likable guy and an entertaining player to watch. I really wished his run could extend even further, my bracket picks be damned! 

I hope he continues this upward trajectory in 2015 and that he's able to make a dent in the rest of the slams as well. I just love seeing him do well. 

And then in the wee hours of the morning, Federer lost to Andreas Seppi of Italy. Federer had all the stats working in his favor before the match began (head-to-head record, consecutive third round wins at the Aussie Open, etc.), but match stats are lag indicators, not lead indicators, right? And in the end, the stats couldn't pull him through. 

According to Fed, it was a "bad day at the office."

A pity. For several reasons:
Photo credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images

  1. I had just started to warm to Fed's "lemonade" colored kit. It was actually really growing on me!
  2. I admire his stamina and grace at this point in his career--when he's clearly no longer the dominant force he once was, but he just loves being out there so much. So easy to root for!
  3. Mirka.
  4. Oh, right. And because I had picked him to win the whole thing. Remember how I was bragging about how great my men's bracket was doing in the overall standings? And then I said there was still time for my results to tumble to the bottom of the standings? Tumble onward, bracket of mine! Nothing to be done about it now.
The consolation prizes these past few nights included wins by Sharapova, Nadal, Venus, Keys and Bouchard. So at least I've got that going for me. 

Dave, what's your overall take on recent action?

DAVE ADDS: My take? Spoiler alert: Much as I adore Dmitry and Helen, I absolutely agree with the judges' decision to name Sonjia the winner of the QVC ready-to-wear challenge. 

Oh wait, you meant the Australian Open, not Project Runway. My bad.

I caught about two-thirds of Seppi's match. (Like how I framed that? Seppi's match, not Fed's.) Seemed clear to me that Seppi deserved the win. That said, I suspect Bess would like me to pontificate about the sadness of Roger's earliest exit from Melbourne in years. But, really, was this early loss that big of a surprise? Fed is well into his 30s, and has been so phenomenal, for so long. As McEnroe said, "All good things must come to an end." Which isn't to say Fed should retire anytime soon. Even McEnroe thinks Fed has at least two more solid years in him, as a top player. So, I say we enjoy Fed while he's still on court, and not be so sad about earlier losses.

What I'd really hate to see is Fed suffer a career-ending injury, or to become so hobbled by pain that he can't compete at all. My hope is that Fed can keep playing near the top of the sport for as long as he and his family want. More losses, and earlier exits? I can live with both of those. What I can't accept, anytime soon at least, is the moment Fed calls it quits for good. That will truly be a sad exit.

As for recent victories, if you haven't read my thoughts on the recent wins by Steve Johnson, Madison Keys and Venus Williams, be sure to check that post out now. 

TENNIS FANS: Which exits have been the saddest for you? Which wins have offered the greatest consolation?

No comments:

Post a Comment